With their team of experts and time spent in the industry, they are without a doubt one of the podcasting leaders for hosting. Not only has Libsyn been named one of our Top 5 Podcast Hosting Platforms, but they are also the hosting platform of choice for many well-known podcasts. Mike Rowe’s The Way I Heard It, Dan Carlin’s Hardcore History, and Joe Rogan’s The Joe Rogan Experience all choose to host their podcasts on Libsyn.
How to choose the right podcast hosting platform
At the end of the day every hosting platform serves the exact same purpose: distributing your podcast to the podcast directories. However, as your podcast grows in popularity, you may be interested in some of the bells and whistles that not every hosting platform has. I recommend comparing these features before launching your podcast. That way, you won’t have to transition your podcast from one hosting site to another in the future.
First time learning about podcast hosting platforms? Read about the basics of podcast hosting and get our recommendations on the Top 5 Podcast Hosting Platforms here.
Some questions to keep in mind
1. Is it user-friendly?
If you are posting your episodes yourself without the assistance of a production company, the first thing I would consider is how easy the site is to work with. If this is something you don’t want to bother with, have someone like Resonate help.
2. How expensive is it?
Hosting sites have a variety of pricing levels. Overall, pricing among hosting sites is fairly consistent, but there is probably one that is the best fit for the amount of storage you need. This will depend on factors like the length of your episodes or the number of episodes you plan to release.
3. Does it integrate with your podcast website?
4. Are there special features that you want?
Are there any special features that you need? (i.e. a custom mobile app for your podcast)
5. How good are the analytics features that it offers?
Some podcasters just want to know how many plays they are getting, but some would also like to know the demographics of their listeners and the countries in which they are most popular.
6. What is the difference between a podcast hosting site and a podcast directory?
A podcast directory is the final destination for your episodes, while the hosting site is a distributor that sends the podcast episode to all of the available directories.
Some of the most popular podcast directories include Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Stitcher, TuneIn, Spotify, iHeartRadio and many more. The directory is the main place where listeners will go to check out your show.
One-click posting to libsyn
Whichever hosting site you end up choosing, we hope to make the posting process as seamless as possible. If you work with Resonate, we have a new feature that lets you post your podcast to Libsyn with one click from within our app.
Learn how to set up the one-click posting to Libsyn on this tutorial video.
Pros and cons of Libsyn
- Libsyn is an expert in the podcasting space. They have been around since 2004.
- Libsyn is fresh and updated.
- Libsyn is easy to contact and happy to help
- Libsyn is constantly providing new tools for you to use
- Libsyn is ethical in the analytics they provide
- Libsyn is ahead of the game in posting options
- Libsyn has so many amazing features it’s a little intimidating
- Libsyn is not the easiest to use. It took me a little longer to learn how to post on this platform.
- Libsyn is not 100% self-explanatory. They use terminology that I had to look up in blog posts to understand.
- Libsyn is not free. You have to to sign up to use Libsyn’s services. They do not offer a free trial like many of their competitors.
Why I would choose Libsyn
If I knew at the very beginning of starting my podcast that I was it in for the long-haul, I would choose Libsyn as my hosting site.
I cannot ignore the learning curve that I have experienced using Libsyn, but you can tell that they know what they are doing and that they’ll be around for a while. They have endless amounts of resources for support and many options to upgrade as you grow with your podcast.
If you are willing to take the time to learn about all of the different features, it is worth it!
Libsyn is one of the oldest podcast hosting companies in the industry, and their depth of tools, features, and integrations proves this. They have integrations with the best platforms and features to manage every aspect of your podcast distribution needs, from connections with social media platforms to the ability to generate and post a video format of the show on YouTube. And Libsyn’s reputation in the industry for being reliable and trustworthy is backed by the fact that they are used by some of the top podcasts including the Dave Ramsey show, Dan Carlin’s Hardcore History, Goal Digger, Balanced Black Girl, and more.
Below I’ll provide a brief overview of Libsyn’s features to help you think through whether this is the best platform for you.
- Remove Or Add New Content Quickly
- Know Your Audience’s Favorite Platform
- Customize Destination Delivery
- Control When and Where You Publish
- Apps for all levels of podcasts
- Assistance throughout the app build process
- End-user support
- Custom colors and graphics
- Consistent Presence on all platforms
- Easy to Publish to Your Website
- Mobile-Friendly Player
- Episode Playlist
- Custom Sizes
- Thumbnail Settings
- Custom Start Time
- Playback Direction
- Custom Colors
- Advertising Campaign Management Tools
- Multi-User Account Management
- Unlimited Uploads of New Content
- Phone Support/Concierge Service
- Industry Best 99.99% UpTime SLA Guarantee
- LibsynPRO exclusive custom mobile apps
- Private Podcasting and SSO Support
- With LibsynPro, you get more support and tools for your podcast.
“LibsynPro is ideal for networks, personalities, and brands. Dynamic ad insertion tools, account access management settings, SSO Private Podcasting, additional branding options, and IAB v2.0 compliant stats are some of the features available to LibsynPRO customers.”
One of the things that really stands out to me about Libsyn is how they get the word out about their brand. They have their own podcast called the feed. This is hosted by Rob Walch, co-author of “Tricks of the Podcasting Masters,” and Elsie Escobar, co-founder of She Podcasts. I had the pleasure of meeting both Rob and Elsie at the She Podcasts Conference.
How does Libsyn offer support?
- Submit a Support Ticket. (Support is available Monday through Friday 9am-5pm.)
- Search their Knowledge Base
- System Status Overview
- Libsyn Tutor YouTube
Libsyn’s Most Popular Plans are priced at the following:
- Classic 50 at $5/month
- Classic 250 at $15/month
- Advance 400 at $20/month
- Advanced 800 at $40/month
Here you can find out what storage plan might work best for your podcast.
With the Advanced plans, there are opportunities for Monetization and Advanced Tools for more reporting options.
They also have plans with higher storage if that is a better fit for you!
Libsyn is an amazing hosting site that can get you where you need to go.
If you are serious about podcasting, Libsyn would be a great fit for your hosting platform. This is the site I would use if I was expecting my podcast to be a big success. However, they are experts for podcasts at any level!
- They offer a variety of features for your podcast like custom mobile apps, options for monetization, options to upgrade storage, different levels of reporting statistics and more!
- Libsyn is not the easiest hosting platform to navigate if you have never seen one before. That being said, it is worth becoming familiar with! The truth is- they just have a lot to offer.
- They have a support staff ready to help and have been of great assistance to me personally with the podcasts I work on.
- Libsyn does not give any storage away for free. However, their pricing is reasonable and starts at $5.
- I am sure that Libsyn will keep offering more and more to their podcasters. They are a great option for most podcasts!
We hope this review helps you make an informed decision about the best podcast hosting platform for your show. The reality is, there are a lot of excellent options for hosting your podcast. But at the end of the day, the best decision is predicated on the specific goals and needs that you and your podcast have.
Want help deciding which platform is right for you? Looking for help to launch your new podcast? Schedule a call with our team and we’d love to learn more about you and your show.
Libsyn Podcast Hosting Alternative
While Libsyn is one of the oldest and most trusted hosting platforms, their tools are complicated and take more time to learn. Resonate Hosting lets you post your episode in a few simple clicks and manage your podcast production and hosting under the same roof.
Libsyn caps the amount of audio you can upload with storage-based pricing. Every plan on Resonate hosting lets you host unlimited episodes and get unlimited downloads.
Resonate Hosting also offers unlimited show users, in-depth podcast analytics, a podcast embed player, a podcast microsite, private podcast hosting and more.
In our benchmark testing, Resonate Hosting was faster overall compared to Libsyn. When a listener taps the download button on the way out the door, a few seconds of delay may mean that they choose to listen to another show. With Resonate Hosting, you can be confident that your listeners won’t be stuck waiting on a slow episode to download. Try Resonate Hosting free for 14 days.