Review of Libsyn Podcast Hosting
Is Libsyn Right for You? Choosing a Podcast Hosting Platform
11.18.19 | Podcast Hosting | By: Rachel Wortham
If you have heard of podcast hosting, chances are you have heard of Libsyn. With their team of experts and time spent in the industry, they are without a doubt one of the podcasting leaders for hosting. Not only has Libsyn been named one of our Top 5 Podcast Hosting Platforms, but they are also the hosting platform of choice for many well-known podcasts. Mike Rowe’s The Way I Heard It, Dan Carlin’s Hardcore History, and Joe Rogan’s The Joe Rogan Experience all choose to host their podcasts on Libsyn.
A hosting site is a third-party aggregate that allows you to post your podcast to directories such as Apple Podcasts, Spotify, and Google Podcasts.
Setting up your podcast on a hosting site is crucial to getting your podcast to the directories where your listener will access your podcast. While a hosting site will also be a location listeners can find your podcast, it is not going to be the most popular location. The most popular podcast directories are Apple Podcasts, Spotify, and Google Podcasts. When you upload your podcast to a hosting platform, it generates an RSS feed which is how all of these other directories like Apple, Spotify, and Google all distribute your show to their users.
Why Your Podcast Needs a Podcast Hosting Site
- It provides storage for your podcast’s episodes
- It produces an RSS Feed that can be sent to the directories to get your podcast onto those platforms (i.e. Apple Podcasts)
- It creates unique HTML embed codes so that your episodes can be added to your website
What to Look For in a Podcast Hosting Site
At the end of the day every hosting platform serves the exact same purpose: distributing your podcast to the podcast directories. However, as your podcast grows in popularity, you may be interested in some of the bells and whistles that not every hosting platform has. I recommend comparing these features before launching your podcast. That way, you won’t have to transition your podcast from one hosting site to another in the future.
Some Questions to Keep in Mind:
1. Is it user-friendly?
If you are posting your episodes yourself without the assistance of a production company, the first thing I would consider is how easy the site is to work with. If this is something you don’t want to bother with, have someone like Resonate help.
2. How expensive is it?
Hosting sites have a variety of pricing levels. Overall, pricing among hosting sites is fairly consistent, but there is probably one that is the best fit for the amount of storage you need. This will depend on factors like the length of your episodes or the number of episodes you plan to release.
3. Does it integrate with your podcast website?
4. Are there special features that you want?
Are there any special features that you need? (i.e. a custom mobile app for your podcast)
5. How good are the analytics features that it offers?
Some podcasters just want to know how many plays they are getting, but some would also like to know the demographics of their listeners and the countries in which they are most popular.
6. What is the difference between a podcast hosting site and a podcast directory?
A podcast directory is the final destination for your episodes, while the hosting site is a distributor that sends the podcast episode to all of the available directories.
Some of the most popular podcast directories include Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Stitcher, TuneIn, Spotify, iHeartRadio and many more. The directory is the main place where listeners will go to check out your show.
One-Click Posting to Libsyn
Whichever hosting site you end up choosing, we hope to make the posting process as seamless as possible. If you work with Resonate, we have a new feature that lets you post your podcast to Libsyn with one click from within our app.
Learn how to set up the one-click posting to Libsyn on this tutorial video.
Review of Libsyn’s Podcast Hosting
- An expert in the podcasting space. They have been around since 2004.
- Fresh and updated.
- Easy to contact and happy to help
- Constantly providing new tools for you to use
- ethical in the analytics they provide
- Ahead of the game in posting options
- Somewhat intimidating because of the amount of amazing features
- The easiest to use. It took me a little longer to learn how to post on this platform.
- Self-explanatory. They use terminology that I had to look up in blog posts to understand.
- Free. You have to to sign up to use Libsyn’s services. They do not offer a free trial like many of their competitors.
Why I Would Choose Libsyn
If I knew at the very beginning of starting my podcast that I was it in for the long-haul, I would choose Libsyn as my hosting site.
I cannot ignore the learning curve that I have experienced using Libsyn, but you can tell that they know what they are doing and that they’ll be around for a while. They have endless amounts of resources for support and many options to upgrade as you grow with your podcast.
If you are willing to take the time to learn about all of the different features, it is worth it!
Features of Libsyn
- Remove Or Add New Content Quickly
- Know Your Audience’s Favorite Platform
- Customize Destination Delivery
- Control When and Where You Publish
- Apps for all levels of podcasts
- Assistance throughout the app build process
- End-user support
- Custom colors and graphics
- Consistent Presence on all platforms
- Easy to Publish to Your Website
- Mobile-Friendly Player
- Episode Playlist
- Custom Sizes
- Thumbnail Settings
- Custom Start Time
- Playback Direction
- Custom Colors
- Advertising Campaign Management Tools
- Multi-User Account Management
- Unlimited Uploads of New Content
- Phone Support/Concierge Service
- Industry Best 99.99% UpTime SLA Guarantee
- LibsynPRO exclusive custom mobile apps
- Private Podcasting and SSO Support
With LibsynPro, you get more support and tools for your podcast.
“LibsynPro is ideal for networks, personalities, and brands. Dynamic ad insertion tools, account access management settings, SSO Private Podcasting, additional branding options, and IAB v2.0 compliant stats are some of the features available to LibsynPRO customers.”
One of the things that really stands out to me about Libsyn is how they get the word out about their brand. They have their own podcast called the feed. This is hosted by Rob Walch, co-author of “Tricks of the Podcasting Masters,” and Elsie Escobar, co-founder of She Podcasts. I had the pleasure of meeting both Rob and Elsie at the She Podcasts Conference.
How does Libsyn offer Support?
- Submit a Support Ticket. (Support is available Monday through Friday 9am-5pm.)
- Search their Knowledge Base
- Libsyn Support Blog
- System Status Overview
- Libsyn Tutor YouTube
Pricing: How Much Would it Cost for Me to Use Libsyn for My Podcast Hosting Site?
Libsyn’s Most Popular Plans are priced at the following:
- Classic 50 at $5/month
- Classic 250 at $15/month
- Advance 400 at $20/month
- Advanced 800 at $40/month
Here you can find out what storage plan might work best for your podcast.
With the Advanced plans, there are opportunities for Monetization and Advanced Tools for more reporting options.
They also have plans with higher storage if that is a better fit for you!
- Libsyn is an amazing hosting site that can get you where you need to go.
- If you are serious about podcasting, Libsyn would be a great fit for your hosting platform. This is the site I would use if I was expecting my podcast to be a big success. However, they are experts for podcasts at any level!
- They offer a variety of features for your podcast like custom mobile apps, options for monetization, options to upgrade storage, different levels of reporting statistics and more!
- Libsyn is not the easiest hosting platform to navigate if you have never seen one before. That being said, it is worth becoming familiar with! The truth is- they just have a lot to offer.
- They have a support staff ready to help and have been of great assistance to me personally with the podcasts I work on.
- Libsyn does not give any storage away for free. However, their pricing is reasonable and starts at $5.
- I am sure that Libsyn will keep offering more and more to their podcasters. They are a great option for most podcasts!
We hope this review helps you make an informed decision about the best podcast hosting platform for your show. The reality is, there are a lot of excellent options for hosting your podcast. But at the end of the day, the best decision is predicated on the specific goals and needs that you and your podcast have.
Want help deciding which platform is right for you? Looking for help to launch your new podcast? Schedule a call with our team and we’d love to learn more about you and your show.
*Note: By submitting your RSS feed to Apple Podcasts it automatically gets you into: Overcast, Podcast Addict, PocketCast, Castbox, Castro and most other 3rd Party Aggregator apps – over 122 different apps.
Libsyn PROMO: Use promo code “RECORD” when signing up at Libsyn and receive the rest of the current month and the entire next month for free*.
- What is a Podcast Hosting Platform?
- Introducing Resonate Version 2.0
- How Podcasts Make Money
- The 9 Best Scary Podcasts for Halloween and the Fall Season
By: Rachel Wortham
Rachel earned her Bachelor of Science in Business Administration in with an emphasis in Marketing from Union University in Jackson, Tennessee. As the New Client Coordinator, Rachel leads the onboarding process, helps facilitate successful podcast launches and provides a seamless transition into Resonates’ various podcast services.